Google Transliteration-type and read 22 languages with ease

Discuss about all softwares here.. From Games to Browsers!!!
dilip
Site Admin

Google Transliteration-type and read 22 languages with ease

Postby dilip » Tue May 04, 2010 5:07 pm

First time I came across a situation where I have to type in my mother tongue telugu(South Indian language) was when I have to set a question paper in Multiple languages. Oh my god , I never thought it was so difficult :shock: then I searched on web and found Google Transliteration where if I type the syllable in english it will automatically convert into Telugu. :D . Thank God it made my job easier. Not just for me, but for many Internet users, it is not always easy to write in languages that use unique character sets like Hindi, Telugu, Hebrew and Arabic. Most computer keyboards only allow for the input of Roman characters (the alphabet used by most Western languages) and converting between scripts can be difficult. To make this process easier Google launched an improved version of Google Transliteration at the end of last year, a service which enables you to phonetically convert Roman letters into a variety of other scripts.
Google added five more new languages: Amharic, Tigrinya, Hebrew, Oriya and Sinhalese. This bring the total up to 22 languages spoken across Africa, South Asia, Eastern Europe and the Middle East. These new languages are currently available at http://www.google.com/transliterate .

Since you can’t use Google Transliteration offline , Google also launched the transliteration based “Input Method Editor” (IME) earlier this year. Once you download and install the Google Transliteration IME (don’t worry, it's free :D ), you can type a word the way it sounds using Roman characters and the software will convert the word to its native script. For example, typing "hamesha" in Google Hindi IME transliterates into Hindi as: हमेशा.

For Help on Google Transliteration IME -> Click Here(Google Help Pages) or you can just post a reply to this post and we will gladly answer all your queries.... :P

Not Just Typing Reading Too :)

Now what if you come across a language that you can speak but can’t read? For example, if you can speak Hindi, you may know that “namaste” is a greeting, however you may not be able to read ‘नमस्ते’ in Hindi script. Google's new Script Converter tool converts a given web page or piece of text from one script to another so that you can read it phonetically. Script Converter currently supports 17 languages: Bengali, English, Greek, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Persian, Punjabi, Russian, Sanskrit, Serbian, Tamil, Telugu and Urdu.

Return to “All softwares”